Tooth sensitivity is a common condition that usually develops over time.
When the more sensitive part of the tooth (dentin) becomes exposed, drinking hot or cold food and beverages can cause the sensitive feeling. Dentin can become exposed due to periodontal disease, gum recession, brushing too hard, plaque build up, whitening your teeth, or by clenching or grinding your teeth.
Changing toothpastes or mouthwashes can often cause sensitivity. If you have changed either recently and noticed sensitivity discontinue using the product for a while to see if it is the cause of the sensitivity.
Sensitive teeth may lead to a more serious problem. It can cause you to reduce the efficiency in which you brush and floss which can lead to plaque build up, gingivitis, and gum disease.
Following these simple steps may help you to reduce the sensitivity that you experience...
ACID EROSION OR WEAR
Acid erosion is when the protective layer of tooth enamel is gradually dissolved through repeated exposure to acidic foods or drinks, and/or acids from the stomach. Over time the enamel and dentin can become weakened and sensitive. Acid erosion is not reversible, but there are some steps that you may want to take to help reduce any continued wear.